Thursday, May 10, 2007

Derby Day, and My Thoughts on Bonds, and Steroids

Well, my horse didn't win the derby, again. In fact I like to bet with a few different options, rather than placing all my hopes on one thoroughbred. Well, we showed up at the OTW with exactly 30 seconds to bet once we walked through the door. (I thought it was a 6:30 start vs 6:15) So with no time to make any other bets or do any research, we placed two 15 dollar bets to show. Neither horse came in. A little discouraged because of how rushed everything was, we decided to stay and bet on a few other races. This was much more successful, as we ended up picking winners in the next 2 races, winning a little over $60. It feels so much better leaving a winner then a loser let me tell you. I'd like to thank the Lancaster OTW for my dinner Saturday night at Longhorn Steakhouse.

Ok, so Schilling is in the news for blasting Bonds. In fact, it's trendy to blast Bonds these days isn't it? He's an easy target...not very likeable, most likely took steroids that helped him aid in breaking the homerun record, and soon pass Hank Aaron as well. I like Curt Schilling, I do, and his comments don't bother me. If that's the way he feels, then he should stand behind that and not backtrack on what he said. It's a pretty stupid thing to say as a public figure, but these people just don't get it, and I doubt they ever do. My feeling is this..Bonds is the greatest hitter in my generation (ok A-Rod is close) and to me is sort of Babe Ruthian. Here's the thing, not many people alive right now remember Babe Ruth playing. He could have been the biggest creep in the world. Now I don't think that he was, but it's possible..because we don't know. In every sport there are people cheating in their own ways. McGwire with the Creoteen, which wasn't illegal when he was taking it, but now is..how is that different? What about the fact that the Ruths' and so forth played against tired arms most of their career. If you honestly think that the game was the same then as it is now, then your oblivious. My point? The point is that athletes today are better then they were ages ago. The more and more it becomes a business, the better and better they will continue to get. If you think that steroids is cheating, then how do you feel about other performance enhancing drugs? I.E. Createen or the stuff you buy at GNC? They didn't have that in the 1920's. What about Gatorade? Or other sports drinks? Think a more hydrated ball player would be a better ball player? I can go on and on..each era had their own stuggles, and it's own advantages to it. People are up in arms about Bonds passing Henry Aaron. Why? Bonds is a better player then Aaron. He was since he came into the league. Not taking anything away from Hammerin Hank, but I highly doubt anyone honestly thinks that he was better then Ba Bo. So what's the deal? Henry Aaron had to deal with racism etc etc in the 70's. I'm sure that was tough as he approached Ruth's record, and it's terrible anyone has to go through that. What about Barry? He deals with enough too. And that's not even bringing up the point that the dude is walked 3 times a game. Is Bonds a good person? I don't know him, but from what I "hear" no, he's not. Do I care? Nope. Why should I? How is my life going to change when Bonds hits 756? It's not. No one's like will change, not even Aaron's. People aren't defined by records they hold, they are defined by Hall of Fame careers. Does anyone now think that Ruth is a bum? Nope. He's still gargantuan in stature, Paul Bunyanesque. Another question? Does anyone ever want a record broken? In recent memory, people were excited when McGwire passed Maris for the single season home run mark. When Bonds passed that 2 years later, no one wanted him to do it. This makes no sense. Bonds is daylights better then McGwire as a baseball player, so why wouldn't you want the games best player, holding it's most prestigious record? Bottom line is Barry Bonds is the greatest player of my generation, and I am going to enjoy this run to 755. I think you should too.

8 comments:

Todd said...

Yeah, my boy/horse Tiago didn't light the Derby on fire, either.

I don't like Bonds. I just think it's a shame that he's going to break Hammerin' Hank's record. Aaron was and is such a stand up guy. Barry is morally and ethically bankrupt, and a jerk to boot. But you're right, Bonds breaking the record will do nothing to my life, personally. But being a baseball purist, it will sting a little bit, nonetheless.

Brett said...

Boo!

A lot of your arguments could certainly be debated, especially "Bonds is better then Aaron. He was since he came into the league."

Emcee B said...

Bonds is and has been a better player then Aaron. Henry was a good ball player, but Bonds is an all time great. Just look at the amount of walks Bonds has gotten compared to what Henry received, that's a sign of respect.

Todd said...

...or diluted pitching and a different game where few pitchers pitch inside and intimidate.

(Brett and I were discussing Bonds v. Aaron on the way to Pittsburgh)

Old Man Kirby said...

Who is this Barry Bonds fellow you chaps are talking about?

Brett said...

"Henry was a good ball player, but Bonds is an all time great."

Boo again!

I think the intentional walk comparison is as much a sign of a shift from the pitcher's ability to intimidate to the hitter's and the subsequent change in managerial strategy as it is fear.

Brett said...

Still booing.

This book looks like an extensively researched comparison of conditional factiors for hitters from various eras. Too bad its about Babe Ruth.

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Babe-Ruth-Home-Runs/dp/0786719060

Emcee B said...

no need to Boo Snyder, it's a fact that Henry Aaron was no way a better ball player then Bonds. In fact, Aaron is rarely even talked about in regards to being one of the best of all time.