Monday, February 12, 2007

Blogging the Grammy's

I watched some of the Grammy's last night. Rarely can I make it through a whole awards show of any sort, but the Music ones are usually the best. I prefer the Billboard, or the World Music Awards, mostly because the music getting awards last night was out so long ago it seems like old hat. Anyway, let's take a look at some of the winners:

Album of the Year:

Winner- "Taking the Long Way", The Dixie Chicks

I was surprised by this choice. I was thinking that Justin Timberlake or Mary J Blige would win this award. One of the big reasons is that with the Chicks outside of the song of the year "Not Ready To Make Nice" none of the others on this compilation really stick out. I thought either JT or MJB was more deserving, but congrats to the DC for being able to win awards without being politically correct all the time. Heck I would think every artist would want to give the finger to country music people at some point.

Song of the Year:

Winner- "Not Ready To Make Nice", The Dixie Chicks

I don't have a problem with this selection. I'm just glad James Blunt didn't win, that song was way overplayed. Heck I think I only heard the Chicks song maybe 4 times this year.

Best New Artist:

Winner- Carrie Underwood

I'm an Underwood fan, although that tribute she sang last night was painful to watch, it really was. That being said, Chris Brown should have won this one. He got hosed at the Billboard awards too losing to Jamie Foxx..give me a break.

Best Pop Vocal Album:

Winner- John Mayer, Continuum

This was the most shocking one of them all for me. Mayer took out Timberlake and Aguilera and won out in this category. Please tell me this has nothing to do with him dating Jessica Simpson. I'm flat out shocked on this win by John. The only song on this album that I have, I don't even like.

Best R&B Album:

Winner- Mary J Blige, "The Breakthrough"

Agreed. Out of the other participants in this category MJB stood head and shoulders above them all. "Be Without You" is a great tune, and this one also won for Best R&B Song, and For R&B Vocal Performance. Well Done MJB and congrats on a great year.

Female Pop Vocal Performance of The Year:

Winner- Christina Aguilera, "Ain't No Other Man"

Not her best performance on her album, but she is deserved of the award. I also liked Natasha Bedingfield, and Sheryl Crows "Good is Good", but I have no problem with CA winning. Her performance last night was also phenomenal, well done.

Best Male Vocal Performance of the Year:

Winner: John Mayer, "Waiting on the World To Change"

I'm waiting for the results on this one to change! John Legend was hosed, and if someone can honestly tell you that Mayer's vocals are better then John Legend's in "Save Room" then they are lying to you, or smoking something. Wow, I must really dislike Mayer...but I really don't. Although I don't really like him that much either.

There you have it, a quick run down to the main awards given out last night. In the end the Grammy's weren't a big enough hit to keep me from tuning in to Trump last night at 9:20. Hey Mayer...YOU'RE FIRED!!

2 comments:

Brett said...

You can't fire the Mayer! If we could boot someone out of this game and send them off to forever hang with Sam the Wild-man, I would pick Aguilera. She's awful.

Todd said...

Stop hatin' on X-tina, Brett. She's the bomb!

I do not hate the Mayer, either, though. He's slightly below okay with me, but gets some cred for appearing on an old Chappelle Show.