Monday, February 5, 2007

A Guy's Weekend (Superbowl 41 Recap)

This was definitely a guy's weekend for me. Saturday night there was the poker night for the bowling team, plus my brother in law showed up to take everyone's money, or something like that. What a miserable night of cards for me. After it was all said and done I walked out with a loss of 40 cents. All things considered I'll take that. It started off alright, but then I stuck around in 2 large pot hands only to have the 2nd best hand in both of them, once losing with 4 Queens and the other with 5 of a kind. The following hand I folded on a 50 cent bet, only to find after that call was made I would have won the hand with my full boat. It was one of those nights.

Following Sunday was of course the Super Bowl party and oh, yeah there was a game too. After suffering through the worst fantasy football season in memory, I suffered again as I lost out on 15 dollars at the end of the 3rd quarter when Robbie Gould kicked through the 17th point for the Bears...his appearance as my kicker would later cost me our SB fantasy picks. Should have known to never pick a Penn Stater. I ended up 0fer at those games as well, which makes for a no win weekend for me. Bummer. Silver Lining? I did end up 2nd in the Draft Lottery..I look forward to trading that pick away in a few months.

The game itself was actually pretty good. Despite the fact that the Bears never had the ball, they trailed by 5, 17-22 with 11 minutes to go in the 4th. Just enough time for Grossman to throw his 2nd TD of the game, although this one went to the Colts Kelvin Hayden, and that pretty much sealed the deal. What did we learn? Rex Grossman really did not play well. He looked out of his element on the games biggest stage and the Bears offense really let their defense down in this one. I'm not going to blast Wrecks Grossman because he gets enough heat, but it doesn't look like he has the mental game to play consistently well at that level. Maybe he will continue to improve, but he may not get that chance as a starter..we'll see. I think the Colts got pretty fortunate that the Bears self destructed with 4 turnovers because they had a real shot at the end of it to win the game, they just couldn't mask their QB this time and much like it happened with San Diego, it finally caught up with them.

No comments: